Moving is a big deal. Whether you’re moving to Santa Fe or anywhere else, there’s a lot to do. It’s exciting moving into a new home, but getting everything packed, cleaned, organized, and over to your new home, is a lot of work. To make moving day less stressful, I’ve created a checklist of everything you need to do. It will help you keep track of all the tasks you need to do before your big move. This is the ultimate moving day checklist and it should make moving day go more smoothly and efficiently.
Six Weeks Before Moving Day
- If you plan to use a moving company, call and get estimates.
- Go room by room and record an inventory of items in each room (for packing and insurance purposes). Take photos and save them digitally for your records.
- Start getting rid of any items you don’t need – donate, have a garage sale, or throw things away.
- Start using up food in the freezer, extra cleaning supplies, or anything you need to get rid of before your move.
- Contact your children’s school, doctor, or other providers to let them know you will be moving and to get any records that you might need at your new location.
- Contact utilities, cable, trash service, internet provider, or other services letting them know you will be stopping, pausing, or transferring services.
- Request a change of address at the U.S. Post Office.
- Contact your insurance agent to cancel or change your home owner’s insurance or other insurance policies.
- Get a list of all the providers you will need to contact in your new location such as utilities, phone service, trash pick up, or internet service providers.
- Start collecting cardboard boxes for your move.
One Month Before Moving Day
- Select a mover. Read over and sign any contracts and schedule your move.
- Contact utilities, cable, trash service, internet provider, or other services in your new location. Schedule installation and new services start dates.
- Pack any important documents, jewelry or other valuables. If possible keep these with you when you move.
- Start boxing up any items that you don’t use regularly such as seasonal clothes or books.
- Start detail cleaning closets and drawers to make moving day easier.
- Close accounts or fill out a change of address for any banks or services that may need to be updated.
Two Weeks Before Moving Day
- Call your real estate agent to confirm your moving day.
- Call your moving company to doublecheck your arrangement for the move.
- Have your vehicles serviced by a mechanic to make sure your vehicles are ready for the big move.
- Return any library books or other items.
- Use up any food in your pantry or refrigerator. Donate anything that you won’t be able to use in time.
- Order a dumpster if necessary to get rid of any furniture, or other items you weren’t able to donate.
- Clean the garage. Drain gas from the lawnmower, and prepare bikes and other garage items for the move.
One Week Before Moving Day
- Defrost and clean refrigerator and freezer.
- Go room by room and detail clean any areas you haven’t cleaned.
- Pack a bag for moving day. Clothes you can travel in and wear while you are moving.
- Pack one box full of important items you will need right away in your new home. Make sure to label this box so that it is packed last or easily identified.
- Disconnect any appliances you plan to move.
- Doublecheck the stop date and start date for utilities, trash, cable, and internet service
- Notify friends and family of your new address and your moving date.
- Fill any prescriptions you may need for the next month.
Moving Day Checklist!
- Be home when your movers arrive. Stay with them until everything is loaded on the truck.
- Double-check all your boxes. Make sure they are labeled and closed.
- Review and sign bill and inventory list from movers. Keep a copy of your bill and inventory list with your important documents.
- Do a walk-through of your home to turn off lights and make sure nothing gets left behind.
- Lock all the windows and doors. If your realtor doesn’t have the key to the home, drop the keys off with your realtor for the new owner.
I hope this helps you to prepare for your big moving day. Make sure to start planning and packing early. This ultimate moving day checklist should make your big day easier. If you have any questions about moving or relocating to the Santa Fe area, get in touch with me today at 505-603-9161. I’d love to help you find your Santa Fe dream home and prepare for your big move.